Volker Rittberger, Bernhard Zangl, Andreas Kruck and Hylke Dijkstra (2019). International Organization, third edition. London: Red Global Press. More information.
The third edition of this popular core textbook provides wide-ranging coverage of the structure, internal working, policies and performance of international organizations such as the UN, EU, IMF and World Bank. Such organizations have never been so important in addressing the challenges that face our increasingly globalised world. This book introduces students to theories with which to approach international organizations, their history, and their ability to respond to contemporary issues in world politics from nuclear disarmament, climate change and human rights protection, to trade, monetary and financial relations, and international development.
Maria Debre and Hylke Dijkstra (2021). Institutional design for a post-liberal order: Why some international organizations live longer than others. European Journal of International Relations, forthcoming. (Blog post)
Leonard Schuette (2021). Forging Unity: European Commission Leadership in the Brexit Negotiations. Journal of Common Market Studies, forthcoming.
Leonard Schuette (2020). International Organisations’ responses to hegemonic contestation: NATO’s Trump Management Strategy. ECPR General Conference, 24-28 August.
Maria Debre and Hylke Dijkstra (2020). Covid-19 and policy responses by international organizations: Crisis of liberal international order or window of opportunity? ECPR General Conference, 24-28 August.
Hylke Dijkstra and Maria Debre (2020). Causes of death of major international organizations: When institutional stickiness is not enough. NestIOr Working Paper, 22 June 2020.
Maria Debre and Hylke Dijkstra (2019). Institutional design for a post-liberal order: Why some international organizations live longer than others. Presented at:
- ISA Annual Convention, Honolulu, March 2020 (cancelled).
- ERC Workshop on the “Decline and Death of International Organizations”, 9-10 January 2020.
- GAAS Political Science Section Annual Meeting, Heidelberg, 7-8 November 2019.
- Maastricht-York workshop on “Europe and the future of global rules and multilateralism”, Maastricht, 16-17 September 2019.
- PCE annual conference, Maastricht, 19 June 2019.
- ECPR General Conference, Wrocław, 4-7 September 2019.
- ISA Venture Research Workshop: International Organization Dissolution, Zurich, 16-18 June 2019.
Hylke Dijkstra (2019). Who gets to live forever? An Institutional Theory on the Life and Death of International Organizations. ECPR Joint Sessions, Mons, 8-12 April.